Monday, September 9, 2013

An Introduction to A Pi on the Network


     The Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized computer that costs only $35.  That alone makes it an amazing base for computer projects, as the price point is right and with the power available through Linux, it can do amazing things.  I am DJ Palombo, a senior at Champlain College in the Computer and Digital Forensics major, with a specialization in Information Assurance.  I have been talking about using Raspberry Pi for some interesting purposes since they were released (http://bit.ly/Sjit4O) and will continue to work with the Pi.  I have a new project in the works that will push me beyond my current skill set into learning new and interesting things. 

     My newest project will be to take a Raspberry Pi (which may be referred to as RasPi throughout the blog) and create a network monitor box with some scripted attacks possible.  The goal is to be able to see how the small, cheap, low powered computer can capture network data in line with a computer, and also listen on the entire network, attack the network if it is told to (for experimental reasons only, of course), and do all of this in a quiet and clandestine manner. 

     The hope for this project would be to provide a low cost solution for anyone looking to monitor network traffic and have some fun on the network.  I will be posting periodic updates on the project, and if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please let me know via the comments, and I will do my best to address them.  Thanks for reading, and I look forward to having more for you.

Thanks,

-DJ Palombo

No comments:

Post a Comment